Submitted: 08-14-2007 by cstheday52

My wife and I are new to kayaking. We purchased two Tsunami 140's at the end of June. We love them!!
In early June we went to a Demo day sponsored by Kenco. We paddled boats from Wilderness Systems, Perception and Liquid Logic. We wanted boats that would be stable and track well for day touring.

I am 55 years old and 6 ft. tall and weigh about 195 lbs. My wife is 54 years old and 5 ft. 3 in. tall and weighs 125 lbs.

My wife tried 12 ft. and 14 ft. boats. She kept going back to the Tsunami 140. She liked the maneuverability and stability.

I tried 14 ft. and 14.5 boats. (I tried a few longer boats for comparison sake, but they were out of my price range.) I narrowed my choice down to two boats; the Tsunami 140 and Tsunami 145. I talked to some of the sales people on shore, they felt due to my size, I should go with the 145. I just felt cockpit was too large. The boat is .5 in. wider than the 140 and the cockpit is a little taller than the 140. I found I had to raise my legs too high to contact the thigh braces. The 140 just seemed easier to turn.

When we got home from the Demo day I started reading reviews on this site about the two boats. I was bothered by the reviews that said the 145 was slower than the 140.

When we went to purchase the kayaks, I still had not decided which boat to buy. When I spoke with the sales people they felt that while the 145 would be a better size for me, the 140 would handle like a sports car. They said it would be more responsive. It is!!

We are very happy with the boats. They are easy to paddle and turn. We do not paddle for speed. They seem to have nice glide. We did not get rudders. Instead we got very light paddles. Money well spent!! The Phase 3 seating is great! The seat is very comfortable and adjustable. The footpegs are also very easy to adjust while you are in the boat.

We have only paddled in quiet lakes and other protected bodies of water. I just ordered skirts so that we could venture onto the Hudson River and do some exploring there. I highly recommend this boat!