Submitted: 08-12-2007 by shogun555

After paddling this yak for 7 weeks (about 75 hours paddling time on Lake Erie in all kinds of conditions including 30 mph headwinds and 4' seas) I've got to say that I'm amazed at its performance!

As stated in my previous review, it is not a "true" sea kayak and with its huge cockpit, not a boat for performing rolls. BUT, its stability precludes having to worry about that. I've had the opportunity to paddle a 17'4" Sea Wolf (which is now up for sale) and although it is a very fast "true" sea kayak, its confining cockpit size (30" x 17") and its seating configuration just doesn't allow me, with my bad back, the comfort of the Tomahawk.

I've paddled my friend's Prijon 15.5' Touryak and had to do a lot of correcting to keep it tracking straight. When I paddled my Tomahawk alongside him in his Prijon, I had no trouble keeping up with him with minimal effort and the added bonus of little or no correcting strokes in a hefty crosswind. I also paddled alongside another friend in his 16' Necky (which cost over twice what my boat cost me) and again had no problem keeping up with him paddling into 4' seas in a strong headwind. His, with the upswept bow, is a drier boat in that it generates less spray going into 4' waves, but hey, a little water in the face feels good on 90 deg.F summer day.

As previously stated, the large cockpit makes entry and exit a breeze and allows for ease of carrying gear. A great yak for fishing or photography or just plain cruising. Oh, and it also surfs very well with minimal steering in strong following seas. Add to that the fact that the double-layer linear polyethelene construction makes this boat virtually indestructible and how can you go wrong? I look forward to paddling it amongst the ice floes in Lake Erie come next winter.

Again, a spray skirt is a must if you plan on punching through heavy surf and I've procured one for just such conditions. I've also built myself a trailer using mountain bike wheels for transporting the boat down to the water and launching it is now a breeze.

This boat has forced my home-built (1989) stripper canoe into permanent retirement. 'Nuff said.