Submitted: 08-10-2007 by kelly1369

I recently purchased the SVX100DS and was excited to get it out on the water. I'm a big person at 250lbs so the add of "big people and big water" was a definite draw to the product. Inflation was pretty quick and the bottom floor was stiffer than any I had seen to date. I took it on its maiden voyage in self-bailing mode and noticed immediately that I had made a mistake. My size caused me to be riding in 6 inches of water in the boat. The stiff floor offered no improved buoyancy.

I own the older XK1 which has an inflatable tube floor and it works great in self-bailing mode. I had a 5 mile paddle with a boat full of water which was a pain. To add to my experience, the first rock I dragged across slit the bottom open to the tune of a 9 inch gash. Once again the older models superior hull design never had such a problem. I did enjoy good maneuverability in the white water where the boat is swamped by the waves. The problem was the dead water where the boat was swamped by the self-bailing holes. The self-bailing holes are the size of golf balls. It also doesn't come with the thigh straps which were standard with the older model. The bag is superior as it actually fits the boat. I do not have any idea as to performance with the bailing holes closed as I beat feet back to the store to return the boat.

My opinion is low as the new model is a definite step back from previous models. I give it a four.