Submitted: 08-09-2007 by waltman

This review is for the Liberty base model.
The only difference between the base model and the DX is that the DX has the bulkhead and the skeg. My Liberty base model now has the skeg, courtesy of the dealer in Western New York where I found the boat, also on sale:); the boat also has a rear hatch, making the bulkhead hardly necessary. In the Liberty, there is plenty of room to stash gear for those multi-day trips or to haul around from one place to another, or to stash the beer cooler:)

I bought this boat partly because I already have an Aquafusion kayak. Several years ago I bought an Aquafusion Breeze. It is royal blue and was a demo boat at a store in Stowe, Vermont. The Breeze is about eleven feet long, made from "tough superlinear plastic," as it is described on their website, really a euphemism for polyethylene, and is a strong boat that is capable of taking just about anything. The boat was scarred pretty good when I got it; I have, of course, only furthered this condition, but it just keeps on going. A couple years ago I even towed in a stalled motorboat with my small Breeze.

The Liberty is the Breeze and then some. It is also the same color. It is about thirteen feet long with such a roomy cockpit that I could even move forward and practically kneel to adjust the foot pegs while underway. I like this roomy cockpit. I am 6' 225lbs (not all blubber:)) and trying to fit into those small cockpits is like squeezing into spandex. The bow is flanged, the hull chined. The bow does a wonderful job deflecting the waves that the Liberty just glides through with hardly a thought of them. I have deliberately put this boat into cross-currents of motorboat wakes; it just parts them without effort and keeps moving on. The hull makes the Liberty as steady as time. You really have to work at it to dump this boat.

The Liberty is a multi-tasking boat. It is at home as a fishing platform or sailing across the open water. I am not a fisherman. I go for touring and putting the miles behind me. The Liberty glides along like a cloud. Sometimes, especially when the water is laying flat and undisturbed, motion hardly seems perceptible, except for the shoreline screaming by. I can now paddle a lake about five miles long in about 1.5 hours without hitting that wall of exhaustion, like I did with the Breeze. Unlike the Breeze, which can spin hard with the skeg up, the Liberty stays right in line, the bow barely yawing with each dip of the paddle. The skeg reduces this to nothing and keeps it right in line. I might try to get a rudder on it this winter.

This is a heavy boat to carry but, like its sister, it is really strong. I might be able to tow in more than a motor boat with her:) -- that is, of course, if I have the strength:) Once up to speed she really hauls along. Best of all, the Liberty is well under a thousand dollars. She will last well over a thousand miles and still keep on trucking. This is a fantastic boat for just about any purpose except, perhaps, for rivers, and well worth the considerably smaller investment. I will, no doubt, paddle far with my Liberty.