Submitted: 08-09-2007 by cougar

I bought the Mini-X back in May to fill a hole in my fleet. I needed a very maneuverable boat with stability to fish in small to medium winding creeks with up to class II rapids. Wow what a surprise, this boat can handle anything you can throw at it. I have had this little yak in Lake Erie in 6' breakers and it handles them easily. This boat surfs the waves great and is able to climb right up the face of them as they are cresting. The stability of the boat is awesome, I have the fish and dive package and it is a great fishing platform. The only time I was able to flip this yak was when I was surfing and I was going so fast I couldn't keep up paddling and made a mis-stroke and got blown out by the wave. Re-entry back into the yak is easy even in the surf.

Because of the width of the boat I use a 240 paddle and it has surprising speed for a short wide yak. In fact I sold my Prowler 13 yesterday because this boat flat outperforms it in every way. I am actually able to get more speed out of this little 9'3" yak than the 13' prowler in part to the fact that it is 20 pounds lighter at 39 lbs. Also it handles better in big rough water and is not fazed by large boat wakes. The boat will do a 360 in place. The light weight makes it a breeze to load on a rack or in a truck bed by yourself.

The boat sits higher in the water than most SOTS and is a lot drier ride, not much spray or water in from the scuppers, I was always wet in the prowler. It does have a little hull slap once in a while on the smaller waves depending on your angle to them, but it is minor. The yak also has a surprising 350 lb. capacity. The quality and finish of the poly it is made out of is great and it is almost slick when wet and cleans easily.

The storage is ample and I can fit my 240 2 piece paddle in the center hatch. I am also able to fit a 6' rod in the front hatch after removing the bucket. The hatches are very water tight in normal use. Flipping it in the surf lets some water in, but I think it comes through the rod holders.There is a paddle holder on each side of the yak which is a nice feature because you can secure a spare rod under one of them. This is a great little all purpose yak that is flat out fun.