Submitted: 08-08-2007 by Ruby

We purchased two Ocean Kayak Sidekicks two years ago and have loved them. These were our very first kayaks and we wanted something very stable. My husband and I each paddle with a child (3 and 6 at the time of purchase) on a medium-sized lake (3 miles long).

Two years later, we still easily paddle with them (5 and 8) up front. The boat is very stable and works wonderfully for adult and a small child. Our children will occasionally paddle, but it is easy enough for one adult to paddle with a child on board. It also can be paddled solo, though it's too large and slow if you plan to kayak solo often (single rider sits a little further back than the middle of the boat). Our 8 year old is able to paddle it by herself as well, though it is a bit large for her to maneuver easily. The boat has reasonably comfortable (and easy to adjust) seats, easy footholds to use, and convenient cup holder and bungee ties on the sides for securing paddles.

My biggest complaint about the Sidekick is its tracking. My husband doesn't have significant problems with it tracking in the wind. But I have had great difficulty keeping it on course in 10-20 mph winds and find myself paddling primarily on one side and still having to rudder. And with all Sit-on-tops (SOTs), plan to be wet from the waist down when you paddle (just from paddle drips). All-in-all, an excellent kayak for what it was designed for (one adult, one child).