Submitted: 08-08-2007 by zenrider
Having owned the 146 for sometime now, I have an altered opinion.
This boat is not as fast as my first impression. Of course you must allow for paddler ability etc. but here are my realistic results. If paddling at a leisurely pace (meaning I am just paddling easy and steady and not paying particular attention to technique, direction, etc.), I find I am moving about 3.2 to 3.5 MPH on the GPS. If I concentrate on technique and focus on a target and paddle with determination at a pace that may raise a little sweat on a warm day, without overdue exertion, I get about 3.7 to 4.1 MPH. To push the craft beyond 4.1 requires very good form, concentration and a LOT more energy exertion. For me, this would be like running for long distance. Definitely above jogging level, but not the 100 yd dash sprint type of exercise. I can get about 4.5 for about half a mile before really feeling it. The hull makes quite a bit of noise in the water above 4.1. You start to plane just a little and that messes with the tracking and slows you down again. You can hear the water flushing away from the bow and gathering again at the stern. So, you are really wasting some energy at this point. Up to 4.1 MPH, it is pretty quite and about all you could expect for some long haul sustained effort. Beyond that speed, you will really burn calories trying to maintain a higher pace. But cruising at 3.2 to 3.5 is very doable by anyone with modest paddling skills.

The stability and comfort are fantastic. The "waterproof" storage hatch will definitely need some sealant. Water gets in but cannot get out. Don't put your cell phone in there until you have performed the additional sealing and testing. The foam bulkheads were not glued sufficiently during production, I see that listed several times both here and other review boards. So, if you buy one, take it home and do the job yourself. I got no response from Old Town when I listed this concern.