Submitted: 08-07-2007 by Tom

Keowee Update - I just celebrated my 10th year of ownership of my little yak. It's become like an old friend to me as we have spent many hours and miles together. The bottom is getting quite scratched up but the rest is still looking pretty good. I have always kept it out of the sun when not using it and have always kept a cockpit cover on it to keep any critters out when stored. In ten years of use I still have never flipped it. I usually go out with a "mini-skirt" that keeps my legs protected from the sun but still allows some cooling air to get into the cockpit. I do occasionally rent larger and more expensive kayaks but I still haven't been convinced to buy one. Sliding back into my Keowee is like putting on an old pair of jeans - comfortable. I'm a day tripper only and this yak has taken me everywhere I wanted to go and I can carry it one handed down to the waters edge for launching just about anywhere. Certainly not the boat for everyone; but I sure have gotten my money's worth out of it and it's still going strong after 10 years!!