Submitted: 08-07-2007 by RCB

I bought a plastic 14.5 Tsunami 3 months ago to step up from my 12.5 Perception Antiqua. After six years and many miles on that tugboat (I say that fondly) it was time to move up in class. I wanted something longer and faster that I could use on class 1-2 rivers. After 60+ hours paddling on lakes and bays of the Potomac, I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I am a big paddler 5'11/250 and the Tsunami fits me fine. Very stable and fast in comparison to my Perception. It tracks superbly. The writer of the previous review is right - this boat is built for larger paddlers and maybe my weight makes it move faster through the water.

Even though I have a rudder I haven't had any need to use it. Even in wind and 1-2 foot chop on a big deep inland lake, Mullet Lake in northern Michigan, I could keep on track simply by paddling technique. The boat cut across the top of the waves and I remained perfectly dry (no skirt). The Wilderness seating system is great. Comfortable and easy to adjust on the fly. I like the fact that there seems to be a bit more space behind the seat and the edge making it easier to reach back for water stowed behind the seat.

I'm looking forward to our annual 3 day trip next week on the James River in central Virginia and see how it handles in small rapids and some technical rock gardens.

Two minor complaints already noted in earlier reviews ... no bag in the small hatch and the rear seat adjustment slips. Been meaning to get a clip or pin to keep it in place.