Submitted: 08-06-2007 by maxturner

I bought the Charleston 14 after deciding to sell my Valley Aquanaut sea kayak, I paddle a lot less than I used too so I wanted something stable, easy to handle in tight spots, most of my trips are solo, exploring the rugged west Wales coastline.

I am very impressed with this kayak, it doesn't feel too sluggish, is fun in chop and waves, and is very responsive without the skeg deployed,and tracks well with the skeg down, it could do with a bit more buoyancy in the bow to give a drier ride but considering its designed as a flatwater kayak it performs very well in waves and chop, it's good fun in a following sea, comfort is good, I'm 6ft, 75kg and the 14ft model fits me better than the rather fat-assed 15ft version. Hatches seem pretty good at keeping the water out, I painted mine black for cosmetic reasons.

Recommended as a good general purpose kayak for easy sea trips, easy rivers and flatwater.