Submitted: 08-06-2007 by Michal

Kayak: Prijon Barracuda, blow-moulded plastic, mango colour, with rudder
I am 182 cm (6'0") tall, 80 kg (176 pounds)

I liked the Barracuda initially; it was beautifully made and I liked the mango colour. At first, I tried to adjust the seat to feel comfortable, but wasn't too happy with any settings. Without trying the kayak, I took it for a six days trip. The Barracuda felt very tippy from the beginning. I had to learn to keep my hips relaxed to stay upright. Taking pictures and not holding the paddle was out of the question! A moment of inattention and I capsized. Couldn't even think about climbing back to the kayak loaded with gear because it wouldn't float upright! I didn't even know it was possible...

Well, I still like the Barracuda's sleek lines and finish but realized that it would not serve me well as an ocean touring kayak. It would be fine for weekend exercise paddling. I have exchanged it for Prijon Kodiak which is much more stable, comfortable and just a bit slower. It might be just my impression, but Kodiak seems to be better built; the plastic body seems to be sturdier.

Botetourt County Tourism: