Submitted: 08-03-2007 by FrankB2

A quality canoe in every respect! I bought this canoe from Jersey Paddler, and the people there are great: they all displayed great patience with me over a two week period, during which I bought and returned 3 other canoes!!!

My Northwind is the 16'6" Royalex version, with wood trim. It doesn't feel as light as the Old Town Charles River I briefly owned, but it also doesn't oil can the way that beast did. The Northwind is much faster, easier to paddle due to the tumblehome gunwales, and glides forever. The cane seats are hung from walnut boards, and the ash is much more substantial than the Old Town's seats (which drooped quite a bit).

The amazing thing is that the Royalex Northwind is very affordable when compared to other manufacturer's canoes in the same material! The Northwind has tracked great solo and tandem, and doesn't rely on a keel to help stiffen the bottom. My wife and I flyfish from our canoes, and the Northwind is the most quiet boat we've owned. Maybe it has something to do with the wood gunwales.

An excellent boat at a great price!