Submitted: 08-03-2007 by VaVoom!

I bought this kayak for the sole purpose of inshore fishing along the central CA coast. The StraitEdge is a great kayak with many features I liked including the self bailing ports, the aluminum ribs at the bow and stern which helps greatly with tracking and taking on waves on my launches, the two rod holders (and the possibility to add more), and the easy air valves. The bladder and the outer nylon cover is also very well made.

The yak is easy to maneuver, but is definitely slower than a hard yak. This is because it's an inflatable...duh. There's more yak surface area above the water so it tends to get hit by the wind more too. This drifts the yak faster than a regular kayak which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on whether you want to drift and cover more fishing spots, or be stationary.

I would definitely recommend getting some sort of seat pad as the one that comes with the yak is insufficient, at least for me. I bought a Crack of Dawn inflatable seat and it works perfectly. The yak is wide at 36", a tad too wide for my 220cm Camanos so I'd also recommend at least a 230cm paddle...luckily I'm a short guy at 5'5". And if you're a taller person, get at least a 240cm paddle.

I've had this yak for the past 3 weekends and I've been on it fishing for the past 3 weekends...Saturdays AND Sundays. On all my 6 trips so far, I've yet to get flipped on my launches, but I was tossed out of the yak coming back in once...this thing doesn't ride waves that well and gets sideways quick, but it's also a difficult kayak to flip as well.

I've enjoyed it greatly and I'm sure I'll be enjoying it for more years to come...or at least until I get a hard kayak and a car that can haul it places...hehe.