Submitted: 08-02-2007 by NineNotes

We have four kayaks in the family and this one is the most puzzling. One one hand, it is a fantastic knock-around kayak for camping and general sea-touring. It's really excellent for getting out on the ocean and learning how to handle conditions up to moderately choppy. Not really suited for major stuff, though we've felt as secure and stable in it than our two full-on sea kayaks.

The problem is this: it is really S L O W ! My wife has a smaller Tsunami and all of us can easily paddle that much faster than this 145. We've done some experimenting by loading it up and, sure enough, when we have lots of cargo in the compartments, especially up front, the 145 definitely picks up some cruising speed, though still pretty pokey in comparison to other kayaks.

My thought is that this is really a kayak for a very large or heavy person... not average or smaller people. For an average sized paddler, I think the 140 or the 160 would be a much faster and more appropriate boat. The difference is striking. So if you are a big guy, take a look. Otherwise think smaller... or longer.