Submitted: 07-30-2007 by annehillebrand

Mainstream Jazz was great for a first boat, but no bells and whistles, and basic weight range for a 9 ft. Then Scupper Pro 14' had all the features, great weight capacity, and paddled really sharp, but was a lot of weight for me to get to the water. I'm 5'1" 54 year old woman. A Winnie the Pooh body style. Like in the story of the Three Bears, the OK Caper is JUST RIGHT.

Inside handles, big tight hatch, lighter than anything else anywhere in the same price range, but still good weight capacity. I can even stick it in the 4-door Explorer if I want. About a foot hanging out of the back window if the front passenger seat is flipped forward.

Paddled the Little Econolahatchee River with an Orlando MeetUp group today. A little over 4 hours today. I couldn't have been happier if I was made out of chocolate. I knew going in that there was one thing I would change. Did, and really like it. For seat attachments I added click-buckles mid way of the straps. Leaving the brass clips (with half a click-buckle on the yak. This way, once adjusted, it takes just seconds to put in or take out the seat. Still have full adjustability, but don't have to relieve the settings to attach the seat. Same type buckles as on the hatch, just smaller. Got at "Big Old Bass Store" for just a few bucks. You only need a foot or so of web strap for each of the 4 brass clips.

Today I carried my gear and that of 3 friends and all stayed dry no problems. Snap on top rubber hatch lids that some yaks have just don't impress me. The lid on the Caper is really strong (In a pinch camping could be used for a basin). Had two sandwich totes in the tank well, but could have had a giant Coleman just as easily. I may add some luggage straps there, also. Just easier for my hands than bungees.

This yak is actually the Caper Angler, so has 2 good fishing rod holders already installed. Seat back has a good sized pocket on the back, with drain hole and overflapped zipper. Inside there is attached cord with a whistle, and a plastic hook clip for attaching valuables, like your pocket tool or waterproof flashlight. The paddle keepers on both sides are great. One for the paddle and one for a gator stick. (smile)

Footholes do fill with water, but that doesn't matter here in Florida. I like to stay wet, as it's hot here. That's ok, but the cup holder filled with water and my drink floated up and out. I will add a cat bag soon to keep camera and keys. Travel Country Outdoors is a long-time dealer on the North side of Orlando. They carry everything and have always been good to customers. They have an online store, too. I have a AquaBound carbone paddle and feel very confident keeping it in the paddle holder.

This is going to be my yak for a long time.