Submitted: 05-01-2000 by Dan H.

I bought the Ediso as an all-round boat, but mainly for Michigan's inland lakes and rivers, with the understanding that I'd get a sea kayak for the Great Lakes. It's done everything I asked it to, once I got it set up. For starters, I added the Dagger LA (Less Aggressive) WW thighbraces, which made bracing and rolling much easier. The boat even edges better (not its strong suit, though). I also added full static deck lines, additional deck shock cords for paddle-float rescue and spare paddle rigging, a deck compass, and a gel-flo seat. Over the winter I parked it in the basement, cut out the screw-in fore hatch with its useless day bag, and screwed & glued in a VCP 7.5" rubber hatch. I then installed a 3" minicell foam bulkhead just forward of the footbrace rails. Now I have a 14' 6" sea kayak that rolls, tracks okay, runs Class II rivers, yet is stable enough to loan to my friends, and rescues much easier with its increased forward flotation. Note that Dagger has discontinued the Edisto and replaced it with the Savannah which has (surprise!) a forward bulkhead and round rubber hatch. Mine's got a finer bow and better flatwater speed, however. Even though I later bought & sold a used Chinook, and now have a Valley Avocet (love it!), I'm keeping the Edisto for the same reason I bought it.

Cache Lake Camping Foods: