Submitted: 07-26-2007 by RDAnys

I have been using this kayak (now called the Angler) for about a month. I am a beginner and stability in a sit-on-top kayak were my primary concerns, not fishing. This kayak is unbelievably stable, but the price you pay is IT IS SLOWWWWW. When I've gone out with my yak friends they can paddle for 3-4 strokes and then glide for 15-30 seconds, while I must paddle constantly to just barely keep up. The drag of the double pontoons is VERY high. The other negative is that in chop the waves slap up against the underside of the hull between the pontoons and just stop forward motion dead in its tracks. And it is a noisy boat as it moves through the water. I have also found that the paddle, while good, is not great and also does not work as efficiently as my fellow yakers paddles.

I still give this kayak an 8, as that stability is SO impressive, and if you are a naturalist like me and just want to bird and nature watch on narrow creeks and streams where speed is not an issue this kayak should definitely be at the top of your list.