Submitted: 07-24-2007 by marlin410

I bought this kayak for my 7 year old son and I think it was the ideal purchase for him. He is about 75 lbs and rather tall for his age. This kayak is rated for up to a 200 lb capacity but I tried it and (at 165lbs) I found it rather tipsy. This kayak is narrow and very light, an absolute dream to pick up and load. I liked the narrowness of the hull for him and he handled it very well on the water for his very first time.

I was considering a W/S Ripper, but I thought they might be too wide and not particularly light for the size as a child's kayak. I was not even looking for this Burst SE, but stumbled across it at a local store on clearance and could not pass it up. I would not consider the hull material to be as durable as typical hdpe but it should last long enough to hand down to his little brother and with a 200 lb rating I should be able to play with it in the surf too!