Submitted: 07-24-2007 by ordinaryguy

I just took my first ride in my new Tsunami 140 - also my first sit-inside kayak. Have tried a couple of others, but picked this one for the seating and the carrying capacity, plus the thigh braces were a plus.

Well, she's not fast- my top speed was 6.5 mph, and that was while surfing a boat wake. Easy to hold low 4's, and my average was 3.4 mph for almost 5 miles. The boat was much more responsive to my paddling technique than my Tarpon 120, so I spent most of the tour playing with my style. When I discovered that she was no faster than my Tarpon, I headed out into the lake from the sheltered cove I started in to check the seaworthiness aspect. Most gratifying - the boat is really stable, took all wakes, up to 2', from all directions with no problems. In fact, the first large wake to hit me from behind sent me surfing, which was really unexpected, as the Tarpon won't do that. A couple of manly strokes and she was dancing on the wake! I only give her a nine because I expected her to be faster.