Submitted: 07-20-2007 by joeb
I want to update my last review of the Wilderness Pamlico Tandem 145. I have read and reread the other reviews and can't believe we bought the same kayak! Everyone says how it tracks so well, but my wife and I had to fight it constantly to keep it going straight. As I stated in my first review, I am a machinist and was going to make a rudder for the kayak. I made a prototype out of thin wood which is fixed and is not steerable. I took the kayak out by myself and was amazed at the difference in handling. I could paddle easily in a straight line or turn and it would straighten up by itself. I have since made a rudder out of aluminum but will have to tweak it because of it's rigidity. I would like to know if other people bought their boats with rudders or not? The cost of a rudder is $200+ and dealing with all the cables looks awkward at best. As a "plus" the seats are very comfortable and the weight is easy to handle by oneself. I would welcome comments by other owners of the 145 Tandem.
Thanks, Joeb