Submitted: 07-16-2007 by psychofisher

This is an old model made by Perception - Aquaterra with clear lines of a recreational boat yet with the capacity of a small touring. It is definitely a seaworthy one with a watertight aft hatch and bow/stern flotation bags. Bit of a rocker this lady, she is going to request your total concentration to find the balance point to keep her going straight, once you find it, brace yourself and enjoy the possibilities. Turns and speed become easy stuff, stability is a great point in this kayak that really makes difficult to flip over when eskimo rolling.

As to wet exit & re entry I haven't found a more friendly kayak: I can climb back in easily and I am known as one of those that have problems with re entries. Add basic safety features such as paddle float, bilge pump, handy sponge to ensure a longer stay on the water, use your favorite spray skirt and you won't need any sponge.

Tried her with two different paddles : 220 vs. 230 and found the shorter one performs better for low & high bracing, why? I dunno, but that's what it is: a shorter paddle makes her turn on a dime, gives you more power stroke for speed, bracing & rolling go better than when using longer paddles.

Can you fish from that thing?
That's the question in everyone's mind when window shopping for a kayak. I am not an authority nor I believe I have the basic knowledge to give an opinion on this matter. That being said, I had two SOT's, I have two SIK's that give me a whole world of possibilities I couldn't find on the SOT's world, being a man of short extremities the chance of wearing the yak allows me to get much more of a day on the water than using a SOT. If I had to get on the water to save someone else's life I'd rather grab a SIK than a SOT, you can bet all your money on that.

Fish finder and rod holders can be placed on the front deck with endless possibilities, rear hatch area is huge also open to many different set ups. I'm going with two Ram 119 T on the front deck...it is going to ruin the funny eskimo roll thing but hey! we gotta catch some fish, don't we?

Final note: If you aren't familiar with SIK this one might not be your best choice. See you on the water, don't spook my fish!