Submitted: 07-16-2007 by S Virdell

My husband and I purchased the Ride 135 and a Perception Search 13 on July 4th. We are new to the kayak sport, being canoe owners. We wanted something more nimble for day trips down our local Central Texas rivers. We took them out last weekend for a 7 mile trip down the Llano, and both had very strong opinions about which kayak was "ours" after it was over.

The Ride is very stable, has tons of space for storage. My husband loved this kayak, while I was not crazy about it. He is 6'3 and I am 5'5, and the Ride was very comfortable for him, but felt clumsy for me. It is extremely stable and rode the rapids very well; he didn't have any trouble navigating around the rocks but I did. Sitting on top and letting your legs hang on the side was absolutely stable. Our boys took it for fishing and said it was great. Plenty of room for a small cooler in the roomy front storage area. Lots of neat features and places to store stuff. We didn't take in any water at all in this kayak, which is the primary reason for the SOT decision. Very sturdy and well built kayak.

We were considering the Tarpon 120 but our kayak dealer recommended this one as being a lot more responsive. We have the beautiful Mango color! My husband loves it, and so do my two college age sons. If you are smaller, you might try something different.