Submitted: 07-13-2007 by Bill

This is my 3rd inflatable boat, and so far the best.
First, it is very portable. While all inflatables are portable by nature, the Sunny is still better than many others. It is not common for a 12'8" boat to weigh only 29 lb. Second, setup is fast. All the chambers allow the same 3psi pressure, so I don't have to adjust the setting of my electric pump. The seats can be left in the boat when deflated. The metal skeg can be left on the boat. I roll the deflated boat in such position that the fin stands on top of the folded deflated boat. I leave the deflated boat in a plastic storage box, which was purchased from Walmart. The box is tall enough to allow the folded boat to lie on the bottom and the fin stands on top. That way I don't have to worry about the drybag that may bend the fin. So when I take the boat out of trunk, I need only to inflate. No setup other than inflating is needed. It takes about 7 min to inflate. Some reviewers here tried to use only 2 screws to fit the skeg. But I think this may make it less steady, and therefore stress the holding patch and may eventually tear it.

And finally the performance. It is slightly tippy, feels more like a hardshell than other inflatables. Paddling is easy. I don't have a GPS but I calculated my speed from measuring the map. I can finish a trip of 4.5 mile in 1 hr 4 min, that is 4.2miles/hr. I have a Seaeagle's Paddleski 395 that can finish the same trip in 1hr 20min, with the same paddle, that is a speed of 3.4 mph. PS295 is Seaeagle's fastest paddling boat. Some said Sunny is the fastest IK. I think this might be true. The sitting position is very comfortable. The skeg, though, is not as effective as I expected. I can see obviously the swing of the bow with every of my stroke. It is possible that my paddle, 244cm, is too long for this narrow boat. I also wonder if a bigger or longer skeg could improve the tracking.

I give it a 9 since there is still more to expect in the world of IK. My dream is to have an IK hidden in a convertible's trunk yet with a performance not inferior in front of hardshells. Sunny is close, but not exactly yet. Is this the best the IK industry can make?