Submitted: 07-12-2007 by B Nolet

I have been paddling whitewater kayaks since they were 17 feet long and made out of fiberglass--which was a long time ago. I recently purchased two Tahiti's so that I could get my young children involved in riversport. I have been very impressed thus far. Most everyone makes the comment that the boats will not track without the skeg. This is correct, kayaks are not supposed to track straight. In whitewater you want them to turn on a dime, your life depends on it. These are, of course, not serious whitewater kayaks but the same rules apply, each stroke corrects the last stroke, Paddling is a skill and only time and experience will make this an effortless process. I did purchase the skegs to make it easier for my kids, but don't be fooled, any whitewater flat bottomed kayak will spin in circles under the control of an inexperienced paddler.

Other nice features of the Tahiti are as follows: It blows up in about 8 minutes start to finish. It holds me and one of my children perfectly, it draws very little and it deflates quickly. I haven't had it long enough to speak as to its durability, but for family fun, and as a launching point for riversport, I give it a big thumbs up!