Submitted: 07-10-2007 by beachhound61

I purchased the Islander Makai with the thought of having an all around kayak with emphasis on lightweight and portability. At 9'-9 and 34 pounds, this kayak is easy to transport and handle for teenagers and adults.
I am 6 ft and 200#'s. I am probably at the upper end as far as stability is concerned. I have good balance, but found that this kayak is easy to tip in heavier surf or swells. That doesn't bother me, because its an SOT. I had no problems in most waters.
This little kayak tracks extremely well for its size and has good speed. The scuppers drain well. I found that the bow throws some spray in your face when in choppy waters facing a slight headwind. This may be due in part to my weight.
The seat well is comfortable, but you will need a back support if you paddle for long periods. It comes with a very nice 8" stowage hatch and ample rear deck space. This kayak is made with good quality parts and rugged plastic construction.