Submitted: 07-10-2007 by beachhound61

I recently bought the Pelican Eclipse 116 DLX at a popular warehouse membership store. It was a package deal for $349. It came with a paddle and a car roof carrier kit.
I have had it out numerous times in canals, rivers and the ocean. This is a very stable kayak with good speed. It tracks well in calm waters, but only fair in slightly windy or tidal currents. The paddle was too short and substandard. I replaced it with a 230cm Harmony and got much better performance. Also the standard model Eclipse does not come with dry storage hatches. It has locations for a large forward hatch and rear small dry bag hatch. I opted to buy a forward hatch and install it myself.
This kayak has standard adjustable foot pads and a back rest that work well. The seat well does not have scupper holes and it stays dry. This kayak also handled small ocean swells well with very little splash coming over the bow.
All in all with about $125 in upgrades for a new paddle and storage hatch, this is a nice, comfortable and affordable beginners kayak. I bought it as my second kayak. My first kayak is an Islander Makai, its a great little kayak, but not as stable as I would like for my 6 foot 200# frame.

Point 65: