Submitted: 07-09-2007 by MF

I got this kayak in sale at REI for 1200.
I have to agree with the other reviewers about the build quality. It is outstanding.

I also disagree with the reviewer complaining about how awkward it is to carry the package. It is no bigger or heavier, than a SOF kayak. Plus it can be set up in 20 minutes (I am LAZY) and took apart in 15, including wiping it with scott-towels.
The kayak feels bug one on water. It is not affected much by the wind, and tracking is nice with the included rudder down. Load capacity is HUGE.
Speed - this is the problem I find that it is essential to inflate the floor first. Inflate it to the maximum allowed pressure (IE until the release valve lets the air out). This way, you will get rid of the wrinkles in the bow. Loading the front also helps a great deal, otherwise you will "cut" the water with the flat bottom.
If I move 4 inches forward, and paddle constantly and determined, I can get 5 mph out of this kayak. That's decent in the world of recreational kayaks, but pretty slow for a sea kayak. It is a bit faster than a Dimension River Runner R5 I also have.
I give it a 9 because I got is so cheap.