Submitted: 07-07-2007 by martin
Fiberglass keyhole version.
I love this kayak for the 90% of what I typically do, 10 to 16 mile day paddles with frequent desire to scull, roll, and do extended bracing. I don't poke around in narrow nooks and crannies, thus appreciate it's fast straight tracking design. In up to 2 foot chop and 20mph winds, I have never used the skeg, in any wind direction. Turning is accomplished to satisfaction with edging and directional paddle strokes. Deep braces that are basically a one-half roll can be done practically in my sleep, with my GP. Rolls great. Quality is high as I've found with all Impex boats I've paddled. At 5'7", cockpit is comfy and minor additional outfitting done for contact. Up coming camping trip may be a challenge for storage. I know that the OI is considered a specialty kayak and some paddlers do not like it straight tracking-harder to turn design, for their rock garden or island hopping paddles. I seem to have a kayak that is a perfect boat for me.