Submitted: 07-07-2007 by Rick Allen

I just got a Loon 100 with the dry storage compartment. It rides faster than my old Lobo Kayak. Yet it is noticeably less stable. I weigh 185 lb and after 5 trips I am just getting confident in water that is slightly choppy. It really wants to start tipping and rolling instantly when I hit a little turbulence. The trick is gaining skill in balance.
First time out I would react instantly to tipping and the thing would be come more unstable. Now I balance the thing by shifting my weight just a bit and use the oar to stabilize. It takes practice.

If you are new to kayaking and lacking agility, I would suggest a kayak with a flatter bottom and thus more stable. The flatter bottom kayaks also require more work because there is more drag. (My non professional opinion) Unlike all previous Loon 100's, this new 100 has a great dry storage compartment with a quick release hatch. I now can bring my camera and wallet etc. The old Loons did not have this. For what I paid, about $500, I believe this is a good package. The boat has attractive chiseled lines and a handsome rise from front to opening. The adjustable Ergonomic seat is way way nice. Bravo Old Town! I can raise the soft rubber seat up and down and too and fro with the pull of some quick set straps. No tying etc.
The boat sides do not get in the way of Oar action, no hitting etc. And the giant opening is easy to get into.

I would recommend this for lake, quiet river and flat water ocean bays, etc. For large inland bays with afternoon choppy conditions and stiff winds, this is not recommended unless fairly skilled at balance and oar work.