Submitted: 07-06-2007 by Newbie

I bought the "Islander America 11.0" from Dick's Sporting Goods. I assume from what I've read that this is the Perception product.

I thought I would like this sport, and with this kayak I am not disappointed. I have nothing to compare it to, since I have never paddled before, but I can already see that as my experience increases this kayak will continue to serve me well.

I love this thing. It fits like a glove and goes where I tell it to. It supports my excessive weight (230 lbs) and travels with little resistance. It is easy to carry, and comes in colors that don't scare away the wildlife. It is totally silent (I snuck up on a family of racoons yesterday), and the footpegs give you great stability and confidence when making tracking decisions.
There are spots for fishing poles, but I'm not a fisherman. The only thing I can think of to be aware of is that the rear storage area is not enclosed. Things could get wet, so I just recommend a dry-bag if you have things you want to keep dry.
If you want a kayak that will serve the newbie (even the overweight newbie) but still serve them as they advance and yet give them an option if they want to go fishing... this is the one. It is an amazingly versatile kayak. It does everything well.
When I buy a second kayak (for when company comes over and wants to go out) it will be another Islander America 11.0 definitely, but I expect to be using mine even when I hit advanced level skill.

Squid Anchor: