Submitted: 06-25-2007 by stanleytx

I bought a Nomad because I absolutely adore the Tri-Yak. The Nomad, however, is not all around what I was hoping for: a stable and dependable one person SOT.

Starting with the positives, the Nomad is super fast and fun. Tracking would of course be improved with the skeg, but with a boat of this size, it turns easily and quick. Paddle response is super fast and this might cause frustration to those who want to relax. The Boat is light and carries my weight well (260lbs), but admittedly a bit small for my stature 6'1 large build. All in all I will enjoy this boat on the inland rivers and flat water I cruise.

Negatives are serious, but require some knowledge and adaptation. The dry wells, aren't dry. This is where the water is coming in, not the molded grommets on the side of the boat. I too had water in on the first outing and took it home and filled the boat with water and watched for where it spills out. Read hatch was the culprit and one of the fasteners for the cargo straps. I silicone Gooped the strap fastener and the rear and front hatch. I believe the problem is that the frame for the hatch was poorly sealed. After removing it, the factory silicone was not properly and insufficiently applied. I corrected this and screwed it all back together. If this is not the fix, I will simply seal the hatch entirely, but it would be nice to be able to use it. Getting in the boat in water is tricky and took me about three tries, but the boat had taken on some water and made it even more squirrelly, stay low and slide.

I had hoped this would be my 2 day tripping boat, but it clearly will not be. I will take the Tri-Yak solo and have plenty of room for luxury gear that I would otherwise do with out.

In hindsight, I would pass on this boat for the trouble I have had to fix myself, but after the fix, it really is a nice designed hull and so very easy to load on top of rack and generally portable. I am still looking for my "right" boat, any suggestions would be appreciated. It is hard to find the boat to accommodate my size and over all function. I may have to settle for a 12 foot canoe in the end, or a small and skinny Jon Boat/pontoon to paddle.