Submitted: 06-22-2007 by larry

I purchased the Stingray Carbon at La Cordee in Laval in March. I tried it the same day amid the ice floes in the St Lawrence.
It's a beautifully balanced paddle with a dangerous flaw. While paddling hard to run up on an ice floe, it unlocked without warning, feathering in the water resulting in a near capsize. Thinking that I hadn't locked it properly, I realigned the shafts and twisted the locking mechanism as tight as possible. Despite this, a light twist with thumb and forefinger was all it took to unlock it. When I returned the paddle, I checked all the Stingray paddles in the rack. All would unlock with next to no torque regardless of how tightly the locking knob was turned. I exchanged it for a Werner Camano which has a positive locking mechanism.
Paddlers have to be able to trust their equipment. This simply isn't possible with the Stingray. Beware!

Ally Folding Canoes: