Submitted: 06-21-2007 by rweeds

I bought my Expedition used, and as such it is in a very used condition. The two side handles rusted, frayed, and fell off and I've found the the seals around the hatches are poor to non-existent, resulting in the kayak taking on a LOT of water whenever it rains (I have no garage so my yard is the only option I have for storing a 17 foot kayak). This is further complicated by the fact that the kayak has no forward or aft drain. There is a drain in the console area, however it is stuck in place and not exactly ideally placed to begin with. So I am left with a cup and sponge trying to remove moldy water from the interior of the kayak.

The kayak is also extremely heavy and the length, as stated above, makes storage and transportation a chore.
Had I known about all of these inconveniences ahead of time, I probably would have purchased a different model. However, the kayak does serve it's purpose quite well in terms of actual functioning in water. I have a rudder so steering is not a problem for me at all. And though the primary stability is a bit shaky, the secondary stability is rock solid. I have never tipped my kayak and I have been out in some fairly rough conditions. I have had this kayak for over a year now, and though it can be a pain in the neck as far as upkeep and storage are concerned, I have definitely gotten plenty of use out of it.