Submitted: 04-24-2000 by Mitchell

I recently picked up a RIOT 007 (previously owned a Dagger RPM & REDLINE). I am 5.10" and 168 lbs. After trying to shoehorn my way into a 220, I finally paddled the 007. I remember first seeing this boat on the water when I owned my RPM, and thinking to myself, "I'll never paddle something that small or squirrly".

CONS: This boat is a 3 year old design, and as such is not as loose as newer boats, or as fast. I had no trouble keeping up with the 220 while river running, but have heard from other paddlers that the 007 is 'painfully slow" to catch a wave. Something that has been addressed in the RIOT DISCO. The beveled chines, although very forgiving, aren't nearly as sharp as the chines on the latest playboats.

PROS: No that I own one, and considering that I paid a third of what a new 220 goes for, I'm quite pleased. The boat is tight, and fits like a glove. I have outfitted it with a Bomber Gear Back-band, and a RIOT Rodeo Seat. The upgraded seat and back-band make for a very snug feel, allowing the boat to respond cleanly and crisply. Side surfs like a dream, rolls effortlessly and is confidence inspiring.

What can I say, this boat does everything I want it to do, including river running. I spent 5 hours in it river running with no complaints. One word of caution, leaning forward and paddling hard, will cause the bow to plow, even paddling down river. ;) I've heard of paddlers out there, heating and modifying the bow deck, essentially reducing the volume. I have yet to do this, but have been told that it will make it that much easier to initiate flat-water moves. ;)