Submitted: 06-15-2007 by res2cue

We'll this being my first kayak, I love it! I had tried a few different boats. This one to me seems the most stable for a first time yaker. I am 6'1" and weigh in at roughly 210lbs. When I went to purchase a boat, the store owner told me this boat was stronger and not so easy to "oil can"; meaning it can take a good beating off rocks (and other boats they seem to find them self parked on top of yours).

Now for my review after owning it for a couple of months.
Tracking:
From what I can tell seems to be pretty good. It stays pretty much on course even into a head wind on open flat water. Easy to turn with some good paddle strokes.
River running:
I have taken it down some swift water rivers and rides nicely thru the choppy stuff.
Cockpit area:
The buckle that adjusts the seat back loosens up after a while. A little modification needs to be done by you to keep it from slipping through the buckle. As for the seat pad, while there is one there, they should design one with a little more padding, but all in all it is comfortable during a 3 hour trip.
Also a spray skirts is a must! The cockpit rim sits pretty closed to the water line when up on edge and without a skirt you will be bailing.
Bulkhead:
Not good! the seal around the top rim (where it meets the boat surface) is poorly sealed. I ended up taking it off and resealing the rim. The bulkhead wall is also poorly sealed. Needed to reseal it better with more caulking.
Deck Rigging:
Nice amount of bungee rigging to secure your "stuff" to the front deck. More bungee rigging behind the cockpit. All the outside rigging has the reflective cord, nice touch!
Durability:
It can take a beating! Going over rocks there is not much flex.

So for my first boat review, I give the Current Design Kestrel 120 HV a 8 out of 10. An 8 due to the small bulkhead problem which is an easy fix and the seat buckle designs.