Submitted: 06-14-2007 by WeeHooker
After doing a ton of research into finding a "good fishing SOT", I was about convinced that the Tarpon 140 was going to be my first SOT (I already owned and liked two SINKs. I just wanted to see what the SOT craze was all about). So when I stumbled onto a T140 Angler at 40% off, I jumped on it without even a test paddle (First mistake!).
My initial impressions were lukewarm. Despite all the reviews claiming stability and speed, I felt robbed in both departments. This boat was no match for either of my SINKs (Pungo Classic and Loon 138). Not that it was a slug or unstable, just not up to what I was used to. In addition, while the rudder helped. It steered like a log. It was also heavier than either of my SINKs. However, my biggest gripe was that my 220 lb. 5'8" frame, kept the cockpit flooded and my gear awash in 1/2' of water (which in turn tended to make the boat bow heavy and plow vs glide. Come on, 220 isn't uncommon for a full grown man. What were they thinking? Even when I plugged the 4 scuppers, paddle drippings kept it wet. I guess some of it is that I was expecting too much from a SOT design (as compared to my SINKs), but the flooded cockpit issue was a deal breaker. I sold it after 2 uses.