Submitted: 06-07-2007 by Scott

I have a hard time giving a rating for this boat as it really depends on what you plan on using it for. It really is an amazing boat Innova has put together, well built, and great attention to detail. I was looking for a sea touring kayak that I'd be able to throw in the car but also more importantly, be able to load enough gear into to take on long day/multiday trips. On paper the Seaker looks like it was designed for that purpose. In reality using an inflatable to travel any real distance doesn't make a lot of sense. I expected to be slower than a hardshell, but not this much slower. I also found the boat to be too wide. At 30" my hands would rub the sides of the boat on each stroke, and unfortunately there's a rope that runs up both sides that would chafe my hands raw. Gloves helped, but still annoying. If the boat sat lower in the water it probably wouldn't have been an issue, but as it's inflatable is does ride a bit higher than a hardshell. I took the Seaker out 3 times, twice in calm water and once when it was really blowing up. It feels very stable and I'd feel safe in just about any conditions. Also there is a ton of storage room, I'm 6'3 and was very comfortable, I could also pack a lot of gear into the two compartments.

For someone who doesn't plan on traveling great distances this is an awesome boat to get you out on the water. If you plan on paddling with friends who have hardshell kayaks and are going from point A-->B, you'll find yourself getting frustrated. Unfortunately this boat didn't work out for me and back to REI it went. I don't want to be too negative on it though, I do think it's a great boat for the right activity.

Danuu Sup Covers: