Submitted: 06-05-2007 by Kate

I have to preface this by saying that while I love paddling, I can't afford to try a lot of boats, so I've only ever been in a few OC-1's.

That said, I found a well-worn Prophet at a used gear sale last year and the price was right for me. It's been a love/hate relationship because it's a tough boat for me to practice and learn on. First off, it's heavy - mine has plastic gunwales and even with half the hull worn off the boat is too heavy for me to lift over my head by myself (I can manage to slide it onto my station wagon, though.)
Second, the rocker is extreme! I didn't realize how much rocker the boat had until I saw a picture of myself with the bow and stern sticking out of the water like a banana. It turns on a dime and gives you 9 cents change, but it also makes a sloppy forward stroke into a very weak one.
So in the end, the Prophet's benefit is its turn as well as it's high sides that don't swamp easily. But its rocker makes it tough to paddle hard, especially into an eddy or to attain, and it's heavy!

But problems usually lie with the paddler, not the boat, so who knows?