Submitted: 06-01-2007 by patomd

I have a 2006 Explorer in fiberglass layup. First the good news: this boat handles beautifully, just as others have eloquently described: it carves turns, tracks well, performs well in following seas... actually, in any seas I've been through! The hull and deck are finished well, and it's generally a great looking kayak.
The bad news? Sadly, their quality control problems have not been taken care of completely. I've never seen this poor quality of workmanship and attention to detail on a kayak of this caliber. The skeg was kinked out of the box (and the poor design means I'll be dealing with this again), the layup inside around the skeg and seams looks (and feels) like an afterthought, the combing looks as if it was just crammed into a roughed in hole, and the cheap backrest buckle won't hold.

Why did I buy it? Well, like I said, it's a dream to paddle. Would I recommend it to someone else? Yes, but be prepared to walk away from it if it doesn't live up to your expectations of quality.