Submitted: 05-22-2007 by J Finney

Just got new Dirigo 14, first Yak ever for us, I'm 6-1, 225 lbs, did research as wanted comfort for my size, ease of access, fishing, stability and performance/handling... pleased to report it is all of above. I have a touchy lower back, but have spent 3 hrs so far and no problems at all, this is recreational stuff as we live on a larger lake, it is perfect. I'd have trouble imagining squeezing into a smaller cockpit as I like the relatively open roomy cockpit (although it isn't too roomy), especially for fishing, plus I can get this yak cruising at very good speeds, it tracks very well and turns OK and handles waves. I figure I can get going at 5 knots as it seems to cut the water very well. We have guests to the lake, and this is perfect also for novices who want to experience all this without hassles entering or exiting cockpit or worries of capsizing... overall very good recreational boat and well made, we got the Carlisle Magic fiberglass paddles which seem perfect as well ($90), no regrets at all.