Submitted: 05-22-2007 by zenrider
I believe this 146 is variable layer poly. Very nice whatever it is. I bought this sight unseen based on reviews and investigations of many competing brands. I have experience in many canoes and a 9.5 ft rec style kayak and what a difference. I bought this specifically for exercise. But it seems to paddle itself!! A couple of strokes to get it moving and it is drift city. Can anything stop this boat? I was making way in a 25-30 mph head wind at 1.7 MPH to 2.0 according to the GPS (no rudder). Downwind, I was travelling at 1.5 to 2.3 with zero paddling. In the calm, I managed 5.0 mph with some effort but not flat out. I should be able to sustain about 3.5mph with very little effort. So how much exercise am I going to get?? Guess I better park farther from the water so I can work up a sweat loading and unloading.
My other kayak plows through the waves while plunging the bow with much surface wash on deck. This boat wheels over the waves, very difficult to plunge the front deck beneath the surface. I felt I could take this thing on any rough sea. Stability was nearly as good as my flat and fat rec boat. I was not prepared for the extra turning effort, but in no time I had perfected the additional skills. I will stick with my shorties for the little creeks I paddle, but this thing will make all lake excursions from now on. Can't wait to get it on a river though.

So my feeling is, just buy one. You can spend days and hours testing and comparing. That could be fun. But if you are kind of in a hurry to make a purchase decision and don't have time or the knowledge to really learn and compare the finer points, just get a Cayuga 146. It has lots of user friendly features. Did I mention comfort? This just lacks heat and vibration and it could be a barka lounger. Light, fast, pretty(cloud color), fast, stable, roomy and fast.