Submitted: 05-21-2007 by mccutms

The Enlightened Kayaks T-16 replaced my Old Town Adventure 139, a solid boat I put hundreds of miles on. I was looking for a reasonably priced boat that was faster, lighter, and more comfortable than the 139 that could still handle my 6'2", 215 lb frame and size 11 shoes. T-16 is designed by naval architect John Winters, and it shows. It's water line is longer than many 17' boats, so it cruises significantly faster than the 139, is plenty stable, and tracks and steers very well. The cockpit is quite roomy with a lot of adjustment, and the thigh pads and simple, very comfortable seat finish it out nicely. I've not rolled the boat yet, so can't say how dry the hatches are, but they are fully gasketed and cinched tightly down, so I suspect they stay dry. The plastic hull holds it's shape well in the water and is very rigid. At only 49 lbs., it is 7 lbs. lighter than the 139, despite being 27" longer. Unfortunately, I can't rate it's finish work as highly. The hull and deck have a number of minor waves and blemishes that give it an unrefined look up close compared to the 139. The hull/deck joint is similarly uneven, albiet sealed. Standing back, however, it's gloss looks impressive, and it's lines are very nice. Mike at EK told me these irregularities are par for the T-16, a result of his less expensive molding process.

In summary, if you are willing to sacrifice a little cosmetic refinement, this boat is hard to beat at any price.

NRS: