Submitted: 05-21-2007 by CDB

I built my Coho over six years ago. I was not yet 50. I figured to get into a kayak it was the best quality I could afford, and the experience of building it an added benefit. I have never been sorry. I haven't paddled many other boats and I am curious, but my boat has afforded me hundreds of hours on the water that has transformed my life. Building it was a long process, at around a 100 hours but it was meditative and satisfying. I will never sell her.
The boat is strong tracking, stable, and is easy to turn when needed. This is a high volume boat so those looking for a surf play boat may want something more agile. It can be a chore to track in following seas or a quartering wind because it sits high out of the water when empty. If you can travel to Port Townsend and try out Pygmy's boats, it is worth it! Swap out the seat with a Redfish seat and you are on your way to a great relationship on the water. Pick up several copies of Pygmy's catalog to give out to interested onlookers, you'll have plenty. Heads up.

Botetourt County Tourism: