Submitted: 05-17-2007 by damiano
Owning 3 other digital compact cameras and being an ex pro-photographer I would say that the 720SW is not a bad camera.
7 megapixels are a marketing catch because the small lens on the camera does not have enough sharpness to really use all those megapixels. I use the 720SW pretty much exclusively for sea kayaking. When my paddling buddy takes pictures on his Pentax Optio WP and compares them to mine (same location/condition)I have much better results then he has. The color reproduction of Olympus is a bit under saturated (dull colors) and some photo-shopping is generally needed to adjust my pictures to my standard.

Strongest points: compact, solid (it really is), decent resolution (not brilliant) simple to use, best waterproof camera offering out there. Weaknesses: colors of pix are average (Canon does a superb job but they don't have a waterproof camera!), poor sharpness of lens at maximum zoom (forget the digital one) annoying scrolling through menu when powered off/on to regain last mode used, battery life is short, movie mode average, LCD screen not really usable in bright light, set exposure to -1/3 stop or overexposing in outdoor conditions.
Sounds like I hate the camera? No, I like it, but it could be improved. For the average non professional user it is a great camera. Being able to keep it in the pocket of your PFD will allow you to take the pix that you wouldn't with other cameras.