Submitted: 05-09-2007 by dryer

First the good... This boat is gorgeous, well appointed, and has everything I was looking for. It tracks well, is slick and quiet in the water, has a comfortable seat, and has a shiny finish that looks like gel-coat but is tougher. The fasteners are stainless screws backed by nylon insert nuts...a very good thing. No rivets. I like the two dry bulkheads and the foot rests are adjustable using just your feet! I'm 180 lbs. and the boat has about a 2.5 - 3" draft, as a guess.

The bad...These boats are overweight and the manufacture knows it. The spec. sticker on the boat says 43 lbs. and mine comes in at 50. I had the dealer weight another 135L and it weighed 47 lbs. These boats are made from sheet plastic, so weight consistency should be better than a roto molded boat. 7 lbs. doesn't matter unless you are car topping the boat. Throw in a gallon of water while your boat is over your head and you WILL notice the difference! Emails to the manufacture as to why have gone unanswered. A call to the factory got me a nebulous answer about using 'new seats' and 'we use thicker plastic on white boats'. They've gotten other calls about this issue. The dealer seemed surprised too.

I'd rather manufactures not quote weights at all, or weigh and mark boats individually. Under-quoted boat weights seem to be a standard kayak maker practice. I'll enjoy this boat just the same.

Thunder Bay Tourism: