Submitted: 05-09-2007 by JBH

Took the Disco ( second time out in it) through the ocean surf off Cocoa Beach and paddled up and down the beach for about 4 miles last weekend. It handles great in the ocean, turns very quickly in the waves , and is controllable coming back in on a wave. I crashed thorough several waves going out through the surf and the front hatch didn't implode.( I have retrofitted a hatch retainer line just in case). Not as stable as my earlier Scupper Pro ( now a RTM Tempo) but much more fun and maneuverable in the ocean. The Wheeleze smallest cart with beach tires fits snugly in the front hatch, so it seems like an ideal pocket ocean cruiser. It turns an order of magnitude better than my Cobra Expedition kayak and is much easier getting over the dune cross overs and over the beach to the ocean. In flat water it is not as fast as my other kayaks but it comes alive in waves and the ocean.

I modified it with a built in foam back support like I did on my Cobra Expedition to make it easier to crawl back in the kayak when I dump in the waves and also a added aluminum foot support bar and will post these modifications also. For the price, weight, and size the Disco is a good compromise for paddling up and down the beach past the breakers for me (I am 5'10" and 182 lbs.)

Botetourt County Tourism: