Submitted: 05-08-2007 by Squrlprts

Update to my December posting. Over the winter I continued to use my Manitou 14 to kayak to and from work. It's a two and a half mile trip one way. The boat handled some really dicey conditions, better than I did. Granted, with 13mph winds and chop that consistently forced my bow to slam in the water, the kayak handled it all and still got me home. As one who is constantly out in the elements, I know about layering. Now I know about layering for kayaking. You can use less as long as you have a wind break and spray skirt.

I've also ventured out into the ocean with my Kayak for the first time. THAT was an experience. The boats length does make it want to turn parallel with the surf and I found that to be how shall we say, undesirable? Short of that and as long as you maintain a perpendicular orientation to the waves while heading out, you will poke through and get past the surf zone. Having only paddled wide rivers (1/2 -1 mile wide) the ocean swells took me some getting used to. All in all, it was very exhilarating and I think I've made an addict of myself. If this kayak is considered tippy by some, then I've been getting some good balance training. I don't have many kayaks to compare this against but so far it has performed exactly as it was designed to. The only thing I would change is possibly more storage but that's it.