Submitted: 05-08-2007 by grayhawk
This is a six month update to my “first Impressions” review of the Nordkapp LV. Now after maybe 200 paddles the twitchiness has disappeared although on occasion it will still get my attention. It responds to the slightest paddle stroke and taught me fineness along with bracing on my forward stroke. It feels more stable as the conditions get bigger and is beginning to be a blast in the open ocean. It is more of an active paddlers boat not that well suited for bird watching. I still have a hard time stargazing without going for a swim.

The LV is very maneuverable and efficient. It is very easy to maintain a good cruising speed that continues whether loaded or in conditions. I would say it is skeg dependent in flat water and lowering the skeg an inch makes it into more of a point A to Point B boat., like having the best of both worlds. The skeg slider is easy to sight and the skeg is very effective and linear. If you have ever been caught in a storm you know it is nice to have a boat that will turn into the wind without a battle.

The fit is geared to the smaller to medium paddler and although there is plenty of foot room the thigh braces may be a tight fit for the large and best to try this boat on. I did remove the seat pad to lower my CG a bit but the seat and backband remain very comfortable. The construction is still flawless.

I’ve taken it camping twice and with my weight and 80lbs. of gear it was still lively and one of the fastest boats on the trip. I especially appreciated the larger front hatch and loved having my first day hatch.

This is a spots car and not a family sedan so if you want to paddle it for paddling sake this is a fun boat that will enhance your paddling skills.. Can’t wait to see what the next six months bring.

Boat: Ultra Lay-up 43lbs.
Me: 5’11” 185lbs.