Submitted: 05-07-2007 by Clay

I have had this K1 for about 15 years. It's the pre-seal skin Cordura model. I have to say it's everything you would want in a kayak. The foldability puts it into a league of it's own because when assembled it handles as well as any hard shell kayak, but the foldability lets you think about using your kayak anywhere in the world, not just driving distance from your house.

I have taken it on a week long solo trip in Prince William Sound in Alaska and I was amazed by the comfort even after a few days of paddling, and the boat was still dry inside. The skin on frame lets you feel the water around you and somehow that feels more natural than a rigid hull.

This boat stands on it's own merits for ease of paddling and performance but when you think of the options for use it definitely shines. You can leave it assembled and car-top it, you can leave it packed and drive it to where you want to paddle and then set it up ( and you'll most definitely have a crowd of on-lookers), or you can put it on a plane and go anywhere. To me the flexibility of use is the clincher.

Storagewise: It has no internal bulkheads so you can stuff your stuff anywhere. The carrying capacity seemed fine. On my week long trip I never needed to strap anything on the deck.

Stability: The initial stability is excellent, perfect for photography or just sitting and relaxing. I don't really know about secondary stability because I have never tried to roll it or edge it, and I don't want to. It tracks really solidly and I have never felt like I had to fight it to get it to turn.

After ten years of use (granted not constant use) it has never needed any repairs and the hull seems like it's holding up excellently. Since I bought mine (in 1992) they have made lots of improvements, so I guess they're even better now. A great boat hands down!

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: