Submitted: 05-04-2007 by WG

I have owned 4 Ocean Kayaks over the years and this is the first and only one that I would rate this low. I purchased a Venus 11 for my girlfriend. I soon discovered that I liked its handling and portability more than my old Scrambler. However, she and I also discovered what we consider to be a design flaw.

There is a rim that runs along the top of the boat that channels water away from the cockpit. Unfortunately, the handle wells on each side of the boat create a break. The result is that the water being channeled around the entire boat by the rim ultimately flows into the boat through the handle wells and into the seating area. The end result is that, even on the calmest days, there is a steady trickle of water soaking the seat.

When I purchased the boat, I upgraded to the Comfort Deluxe seating, only to find that it is virtually impossible to keep the seat dry. (I have no such problem with the Scrambler.) The seat that comes standard with the Venus 11 gets equally wet.

I believe that a waterproof, thermo-molded foam seat like the "Comfort Pro Backrest" would alleviate this problem. But certainly not the Comfort Deluxe, which is the suggested upgrade. I just ordered a new seat. I will report back on this issue once I have had a chance to test it.